Chapter 4: Hymns




Ephesians 5:19-20  Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

 

*****



Hymns:

For e-Books:  (Click on link to take you to hymn.  After hymn appears on screen, click forward > arrow to play hymn.  To return to book, click back < arrow at bottom of your device.)


For paperbacks:  (If you have access to internet on smart phone or any other device you can hear these hymns played by going to www.hymnal.net.  Enter the name of the hymn in the "Search" box, then click on the hymn name in the list that displays.  After hymn appears on screen, click forward > arrow to play hymn.)
 

*  Have you been to Jesus for the cleansing pow'r
 


1.  Have you been to Jesus for the cleansing pow’r?
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
Are you fully trusting in His grace this hour?
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?


Chorus:

Are you washed in the blood,
In the soul-cleansing blood of the Lamb?
Are your garments spotless? 

Are they white as snow?
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?


2.  Are you walking daily by the Savior’s side?
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
Do you rest each moment in the Crucified?
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?


3.  When the Bridegroom cometh will your robes be white!
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
Will your soul be ready for His presence bright,
And be washed in the blood of the Lamb?


4.  Lay aside the garments that are stained with sin,
And be washed in the blood of the Lamb;
There’s a fountain flowing for the soul unclean,
O be washed in the blood of the Lamb.



*****


*  
I serve a risen Savior  (HE lives!  HE lives!  Christ Jesus lives today!)


 1.  I serve a risen Savior
He’s in the world today.
I know that He is living,

Whatever men may say.

I see His hand of mercy;

I hear His voice of cheer;
And just the time I need Him

He’s always near. 

Chorus:

He lives! He lives! 
Christ Jesus lives today!
He walks with me and talks with me 
along life’s narrow way.

He lives, He lives, salvation to impart!
You ask me how I know He lives?
He lives within my heart.



2.  In all the world around me
I see His loving care,
And though my heart grows weary,

I never will despair;

I know that He is leading,

Through all the stormy blast;
The day of His appearing

Will come at last.

3.  Rejoice, rejoice, O Christian,
Lift up your voice and sing
Eternal hallelujahs

To Jesus Christ the King!

The Hope of all who seek Him,

The Help of all who find,
None other is so loving,

So good and kind.


*****


*  Power in the Blood

1.  Would you be free from your burden of sin?
There’s power in the blood, 
power in the blood;
Would you o’er evil a victory win?

There’s wonderful power in the blood.

Chorus:

There is power, power, wonder-working power,
In the blood ... of the Lamb;
There is power, power, wonder-working power,

In the precious blood of the Lamb.


2.  Would you be free from your passion and pride?
There’s power in the blood, 
power in the blood;
Come for a cleansing to Calvary’s tide,

There’s wonderful power in the blood.

3.  Would you be whiter, much whiter than snow?
There’s power in the blood, 
power in the blood;
Sin-stains are lost in its life-giving flow,

There’s wonderful power in the blood.

4.  Would you do service for Jesus your King?
There’s power in the blood, 
power in the blood;
Would you live daily His praises to sing?

There’s wonderful power in the blood.


*****


*  Standing on the promises
 


1.  Standing on the promises of Christ my King,
Through eternal ages let His praises ring,
Glory in the highest, I will shout and sing,

Standing on the promises of God.

Chorus:

Standing, standing,
Standing on the promises of God
(Christ) my Savior;
Standing, standing,

I’m standing on the promises of God.


2.   Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
By the living Word of God I shall prevail,

Standing on the promises of God.

3.  Standing on the promises I now can see
Perfect, present cleansing in the blood for me;
Standing in the liberty where Christ makes free,

Standing on the promises of God.

4.  Standing on the promises of Christ the Lord,
Bound to Him eternally by love’s strong cord,

Overcoming daily with the Spirit’s sword,
Standing on the promises of God.

5.  Standing on the promises I shall not fall,
List’ning every moment to the Spirit’s call.
Resting in my Savior as my All in all,

Standing on the promises of God.


*****


*  Great is THY faithfulness

1.  
Great is Thy faithfulness, 
O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;

Thou changest not, 
Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.

Chorus:

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness! 
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand (word) hath provided— 

Great is Thy faithfulness, 
Lord, unto me! 


2.  Summer and winter, 
and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.


3.  Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!



*****

 *  I'm pressing on the upward way

1. 
I’m pressing on the upward way,
New heights I’m gaining every day;
Still praying as I onward bound,
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.


Chorus:

Lord, lift me up, and let me stand
By faith on Canaan’s (Heaven's) tableland;
A higher plane than I have found,

Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.


2.  My heart has no desire to stay
Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where these abound,
My prayer, my aim, is higher ground.
 

3.  I want to live above the world,
Though Satan’s darts at me are hurled;
For faith has caught the joyful sound,
The song of saints on higher ground.


4.   I want to scale the utmost height
And catch a gleam of glory bright;
But still I’ll pray till rest I’ve found,
Lord, lead me on to higher ground.



*****


*  HE leadeth me!   

1.  He leadeth me! O blessed thought,
O words with heav’nly comfort fraught;
Whate’er I do, where’er I be,
Still ’tis Christ’s hand (word) that leadeth me.


Chorus:

He leadeth me! He leadeth me!
By His own hand
(word) He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,

For by His hand (word) He leadeth me. 



2.  Sometimes ’mid scenes of deepest gloom,
Sometimes where Eden’s bowers bloom,
By waters still, o’er troubled sea,
Still ’tis His hand (word) that leadeth me.
 

3.  Lord, I would clasp Thy hand in mine,
Nor ever murmur or repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since it is Thou that leadest me.
 

4.  And when my task on earth is done,
When, by Thy grace, the vict’ry’s won,
E’en death’s cold wave I will not flee,
 

Since Thou in triumph leadest me.


*****


*  I know that my Redeemer lives

 1. 
I know that my Redeemer lives
And ever prays for me;
A token of His love He gives,

A pledge of liberty. 

2.  I know that my Redeemer lives,
A quick’ning Spirit He;
I know eternal life He gives—

Amazing grace—to me.

3.  I find Him lifting up my head;
He brings salvation near;
His presence makes me free indeed,

And He will soon appear.

4.   He wills that I should holy be:
What can withstand His will? 
The counsel of His grace in me
He surely shall fulfill.

5.  Jesus, I hang upon Thy word:
I steadfastly believe
Thou wilt return and claim me, Lord,

And to Thyself receive.


*****


*  Blessed Assurance
 

 1.  Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine;
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
 

Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.


Chorus:

This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.
This is my story, this is my song,

Praising my Savior all the day long.


2.   Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels descending, bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.
 


3.   Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior am happy and blest;
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.




*****


Amazing Grace

1.   Amazing grace! 
how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch; like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,

Was blind, but now I see.

2.  ’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear

The hour I first believed!

3.  The Lord hath promised good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be

As long as life endures.

4.  When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise

Than when we first begun.



*****


Beneath the cross of Jesus

1.  Beneath the cross of Jesus
I fain would take my stand,
The shadow of a mighty Rock

Within a weary land;
A home within the wilderness,

A rest upon the way,
From the burning of the noontide heat,

And the burden of the day.

2.  Oh, safe and happy shelter!
Oh, refuge tried and sweet!
Oh, trysting place where heaven’s love

And heaven’s justice meet.
As to the holy patriarch

That wondrous dream was given,
So is my Savior by the cross

A ladder up to heaven.

3.  There lies beneath its shadow,
But on the farther side,
The darkness of an awful grave

That gapes both deep and wide;
And there between us stands the cross,

Two arms outstretched to save,
Like a watchman set to guard the way

From that eternal grave.

4.   Upon that cross of Jesus
Mine eye at times can see
The very dying form of One,

Who suffered there for me;
And from my smitten heart, with tears,

Two wonders I confess,
The wonders of His glorious love,

And my own worthlessness.

5.  I take, O cross, thy shadow
For my abiding place;
I ask no other sunshine than

The sunshine of His face (word);
Content to let the world go by,

To know no gain nor loss,
My sinful self my only shame,

My glory all the cross.


*****


* Hallelujah! Sing to Jesus

1.  Hallelujah! sing to Jesus,
His the scepter, His the throne;
Hallelujah! His the triumph,

His the victory alone.

Hark, the songs of His redeemed ones

Thunder like a mighty flood:
Jesus out of every nation

Hath redeemed us by His blood.

2.  Hallelujah! not as orphans
Are we left in sorrow now;
Hallelujah! He is near us,

Faith believes, nor questions how.

Though the clouds from sight received Him

When the forty days were o’er,
Shall our hearts forget His promise,

“I am with you evermore“?

3.  Hallelujah! Bread of heaven (The Word),
Thou on earth our food, our stay;
Hallelujah! here the hungry

Come to Thee from day to day.

Advocate and Intercessor,

My Redeemer pleads for me,
On the throne of the Almighty

Now and to eternity.

4.  Hallelujah! sing to Jesus,
His the scepter, His the throne;
Hallelujah! His the triumph,

His the victory alone.

Hark, the songs of His redeemed ones

Thunder like a mighty flood:
Jesus out of every nation,

Hath redeemed us by His blood.


*****

I love to tell the story

1.  I love to tell the story
Of unseen things above,
Of Jesus and His glory,

Of Jesus and His love.
I love to tell the story,

Because I know ’tis true;
It satisfies my longings

As nothing else can do.

Chorus:

I love to tell the story,
’Twill be my theme in glory
To tell the old, old story

of Jesus and His love.


 2.  I love to tell the story;
More wonderful it seems
Than all the golden fancies

Of all my golden dreams,
I love to tell the story,

It did so much for me;
And that is just the reason

I tell it now to thee.

3.  I love to tell the story;
’Tis pleasant to repeat
What seems each time I tell it,

More wonderfully sweet.
I love to tell the story;

For some have never heard
The message of salvation

From God’s own holy Word.

4.  I love to tell the story;
For those who know it best
Seem hungering and thirsting

To hear it like the rest.
And when, in scenes of glory,

I sing the new, new song,
’Twill be the old, old story,

That I have loved so long.


*****

Praise Him, Praise Him, Jesus our blessed redeemer

1.  Praise Him! praise Him! 
Jesus, our blessed Redeemer!

Sing, ye saints! His wonderful love proclaim!

Hail Him! hail Him! mightiest angels in glory;

Strength and honor give to His holy name!

Like a shepherd, Jesus will feed His people,

In His arms (word) He carries them all day long;

O ye saints that live in the light of His presence,

Praise Him! praise Him! 
ever in joyful song!

2.  Praise Him! praise Him! 
Jesus, our blessed Redeemer,

For our sins He suffered and bled and died;

He, our Rock, our Hope of eternal salvation,

Hail Him! hail Him! 
Jesus, the Crucified;

Loving Savior, meekly enduring sorrow,

Crowned with thorns that cruelly pierced His brow;
Once for us rejected, despised, and forsaken,

Prince of Glory, ever triumphant now.

3.   Praise Him! praise Him! 
Jesus, our blessed Redeemer,

Heavenly portals, loud with hosannahs ring!

Jesus, Savior, reigneth for ever and ever;

Crown Him! crown Him! 
Prophet and Priest and King!

Death is vanquished! 

Tell it with joy, ye faithful,
Where is now thy victory, boasting grave?
Jesus lives! 

No longer thy portals are cheerless;
Jesus lives, the mighty and strong to save.


*****

Trust & Obey

1.  When we walk with the Lord
In the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way;

While we do His good will,
He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.


Chorus:

Trust and obey,
For there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus,

But to trust and obey.


2.  Not a shadow can rise,
Not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile (word) quickly drives it away;

Not a doubt or a fear,
Not a sigh or a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.


3.  Not a burden we bear,
Not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay;

Not a grief or a loss,
Not a frown or a cross,
But is blest if we trust and obey.


4.  But we never can prove
The delights of His love,
Until all on the altar we lay;

For the favor He shows,
And the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.


5.  Then in fellowship sweet
We will sit at His feet,
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way;

What He says we will do;
Where He sends, we will go,
Never fear, only trust and obey.



*****
 

*  On Christ the solid Rock I stand 

 
1. 
My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus Christ, my righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.


Chorus:

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,

All other ground is sinking sand. 

2.  When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.


3.   His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.


4.  When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
In Him, my righteousness, alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.



*****


*  Up from the grave HE arose
  

1.   Low in the grave He lay—
Jesus my Savior!
Waiting the coming day—

Jesus my Lord!

Chorus:

Up from the grave He arose,
With a mighty triumph o’er His foes
He arose a Victor from the dark domain,

And He lives forever with His saints to reign.
He arose! He arose!
Hallelujah! Christ arose!


2.   Vainly they watch His bed (tomb)
Jesus, my Savior!
Vainly they seal the dead—

Jesus my Lord!

3.  Death cannot keep his prey—
Jesus, my Savior!
He tore the bars away—

Jesus my Lord!




*****