* 6. Are there prophets in today's NT church?


Some churches say there are no longer prophets in the NT church.

But what does the Bible say?  Are there examples of prophets used in the New Testament church?

Ephesians 4:11-12 ... After Jesus arose from the crucifixion ... we read ... And HE gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;  For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

It is amazing that some church groups who say there are evangelists, pastors, teachers, say there are no apostles or prophets.

We have the Bible example of Agabus, a NT prophet, bringing a word to the apostle Paul in the church.

Acts 21:10-11    And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus.  And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.

Another example of Agabus is in Acts 11.

vv. 27-29    And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch.  And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar.  Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea:

Notice in verse 27 it says in these days came "prophets" ... more than one prophet ... to the NT church.

Paul often had a prophet, Silas, accompanying him on his journeys.  Acts 15:32  And in that scripture, a man named Judas was said to be a prophet.


*****


When there is an example in the Bible showing prophets in the NT church, we should accept this as being for us today.

NT prophets often carry messages of correction to the church today.

I was invited to speak to a small church in Texas.  The pastor invited people to come to a prayer line and asked me to pray over those who came forward.  As I went down the line, I noticed a very large black woman.  I went to her and asked, "And what is it you want from God?"

She replied:  "I's gest wants more of Jesus."

I said to her, "God will show me what you are doing."

She shouted aloud saying:  "Oh, no, Lord ... Don't tell her."

It brought down the house.



*****


Prophets have an anointing from God and will often bring to the church messages which reveal truth which some in the church try to hide.


*****

I am called by God as a NT prophet, as well as an apostle.

Once I was having coffee with 2 Baptist women.

One woman began speaking of another woman from her church group.  She asked me what I thought might be wrong with this woman for she was against the new, expensive church building the pastor was having built.

Without any thought at all, the following came from my mouth.

"Maybe she's a prophet."


*****


I was playing golf with two women, a Church of Christ woman and a Methodist.

The Methodist woman began talking about people who judged others.

Out of my mouth came these words from the Holy Spirit.

"If you judge someone is judging, aren't you judging?"

It was like someone had stuck a pin in a balloon that was full of hot air.  This Methodist woman gasped like air was coming out of her.


*****

One Sunday, I was in the checkout line at the grocery.

The woman in front of me began chastising the checker who attended her church because the checker was working on a Sunday.

Finally I spoke up and said to the abuser, "If you want to go by OT law, why are you buying groceries on a Sunday?"

(In OT law they were to remain all day in their tents on the Sabbath.)  


*****


As a prophet in the NT church, I have carried many messages of correction to pastors and to congregations and to individuals in the congregations.

Prophets are usually abused by the wrong-doer.

And prophets are sent to the church, not to the world.


*****

NT apostles are a bit like judges in a court of law.  The apostle has his law book (the Bible) and the Holy Spirit who rules through him by bringing to his mind scripture concerning the case at hand to allow the apostle to judge correctly in the church.

NT prophets are like the policeman who sees a person speeding down the highway.

We see the church speeding past the Word of God, and when we see such, God often has us speak to the offender to give him an opportunity to correct himself in the church.


*****

I had gone to the same hairdresser for haircuts for about 10 years. 

She said she is a Christian. 

In October, 2017, she began telling me about her recent trip to Ruidoso, New Mexico.  

I started to ask her what she did there but it was like a STOP in my spirit.  I felt God was stopping me from asking.

But she went on to tell me she went there with her new boyfriend.

I was very grieved.

I said nothing but when I returned home I talked to God about this.

As a result, I sent her the following letter:


10-6-17

Marla:

You once told me you are a Christian.

To commit fornication is a very grievous matter and is a way of death and destruction.

The Bible says they who do such will not inherit the kingdom of God.

It is selling your soul for a morsel of flesh.

When you spoke to me of your "boyfriend" and your trip to Ruidoso, I was greatly grieved.

There was a pride and a delight in you when you spoke.

I urge you to seriously consider what you are doing, and if fornication is involved, to repent and turn back to God and save your soul, for fornication is surely a way of eternal death.

If fornication is involved, I cannot be a part of this.

Please cancel my next appointment if it is.

I just cannot approve this nor rejoice with you nor go along with you if that is what it is.

Joan Boney


Avoid even the appearance of evil.


*****

II John vv. 8-11

Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward.

Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God.

He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.



*****


HYMN:  MY HOPE IS BUILT ON NOTHING LESS

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus Christ, my righteousness;

I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' name.

(Chorus)

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.


(To hear this hymn played on piano and to follow along with the words, click on the following link and then when it appears on screen, tap on the play arrow, >)



*****