* 2. A Woman Files A Lawsuit Against Me


In my business, American Indian Arts, we sold jewelry and pottery.  (1975 - July, 1979)

At the shop, we had a book concerning turquoise stones which customers could purchase if they chose to do so.  It cost $15.

A young woman came into the shop one day and purchased this book.

A few weeks later, she brought the book back, wanting a refund.

I explained to her that we did not give refunds on books.  We were not a library.

She insisted on a refund and refused to leave the shop at closing time.

I reached for the phone to call the police and she said, "Go ahead.  Call the police."

I put the phone back.

I don't recall exactly what happened after that but we had our hands on each other and she, being stronger than I, pushed me all the way to the back of the store.

Then she said:  "I'm sorry.  I'm so sorry."

And she left the shop.


*****

A few days later, I received a letter notifying me that this woman had filed an assault charge against me and that I was to appear in court on a certain day to answer the charge.  If I failed to appear a warrant would be issued for my arrest.

Of course I was stunned.  

I hired a lawyer.

As we were preparing to go to court, I heard the following words, which I believed to be from God:

"Don't testify."

I told my lawyer he might not want to represent me for I believed God had told me not to testify at court.

Lawyer said that was alright, he would still represent me and that we should be okay since Flo, one of my workers who witnessed everything, would be able to testify.  Lawyer said of course it would be better if I testified, but he still thought we would win with the testimony of Flo.

Days later, when Flo found I was not testifying, she became angry with me.  She said, "Now the burden is all on me."

I responded:  "But what can I do.  I believe God told me 'Don't testify', so I can't testify ..."

The man I was dating at the time tried to get me to testify.  He said:  "Joan ... you aren't doing this woman any favors by not testifying."

I responded:  "I'm not trying to do her any favors.  I believe God told me not to testify so I can't testify."


*****


The trial began on a Friday afternoon. 

As we appeared in court and stood before the judge, my lawyer declared that I would not be testifying.

The judge was scribbling on some notes and when my lawyer said that, the judge stopped and looked up, looking directly at me and said in a shocked manner, "You aren't testifying?"

I indicated, "No".


*****

The testimony began. 

My lawyer said to me:  "Flo's testimony was not as strong as I had hoped it would be.  But if you would testify, I know we would win this case."

Court was in recess at the time.  I told lawyer, I would see.

I went into the ladies room and began praying, asking God what HE wanted me to do.

I heard:  "Don't testify."

I returned to court room and just shook my head "no" to lawyer.


*****

At the end of the Friday court time, judge required us to return on Monday and present the bill of sale for the original purchase of the book that was in question.

It was Good Friday ... Easter weekend.

My 3 workers, their husbands, Bob, and I returned to my shop to look for the bill of sale.

I had conducted the sale of that book and had no idea what I might have done with that ticket.  I was very bad about paper work such as this.

I was sure we would not be able to find the ticket.  I might have thrown it into the trash.  I was beside myself with fear.

Bob insisted that I leave the shop and wait at my apartment and let them hunt the ticket without me!

I did this.

I said to God:  "I hope YOU know what YOU'RE doing.  We are going to lose this case."

God knew what HE was doing.

They found the ticket stuffed into a piece of black pottery and we presented it to the judge on Monday morning.  The judge looked at the sales ticket briefly and declared me to be NOT GUILTY and dismissed the charges against me.


*****

A few days later, this young woman filed a civil lawsuit against me.

My insurance company took up the matter and a representative said to me:  "Don't worry about this.  We will deal with her."

I guess they did for that was the end.  I never heard another word from her.  Nor did I hear further about the case.  It was over.

*****


Looking back on this, it is so hard to believe I could have continued to stand on that word:  "Don't testify."

But the first time I heard:  "Don't testify",  I really believed it was God speaking this to me.

I think what happened here was a spiritual gift of faith as cited in I Corinthians 12 ...

At that moment, I believe I was given a supernatural gift of faith which enabled me to hold onto that instruction:  "Don't testify"

I Corinthians 12:4-10     Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.  And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:



*****


This situation of life seemed to set a foundation for obeying that which God said.

Going forward it just seemed impossible to me to do anything other than obey the WORD.


*****


HYMN:    TRUST AND OBEY

When we walk with the LORD
In the light of HIS Word,
What a glory HE sheds
on our way;

While we do HIS good will,
HE abides with us still,
And with all who will
trust and obey.

(Chorus)

Trust and obey,
For there's no other way
To be happy in Jesus,
But to trust and obey.

(To hear this hymn played on piano and to follow along with the words, click on the following link and then when it appears on screen, tap on the play arrow, > )


*****